Saturday, January 19, 2013

Identity






The other day while walking, I was listening to Mark Driscoll' s pod cast on the book of Esther. During his sermon he asked the question, "If someone asked you to explain your identity in Christ what would you say?" Hmmm, I knew my identity was found in Christ after I was saved, but what did that truly mean to me? If asked by a friend could I reply without sounding lost? I challenged myself to not only have an answer, but one I whole heartily believed in. I mean I should know this right? Growing up in church, I felt this should be easy. Honestly, at first it wasn't.

Later, I prayed God would show me the answers I was seeking. So, this morning I went where everyone who has questions goes, to Google of course. Where I was kindly guided to the Bible. As the definitions poured in, I started to get it. I had an Aha! moment. One analogy I will share is the vision of someone who goes on a diet, and you see the before/after pictures. I enjoyed the website www.myredeemer.org .

While out shopping I had another "Aha!" moment. I remembered a recent conversation with some friends. Someone had recognized me from high school. They had said I was "different" then. Man, that is the understatement of the century. This is not the first time I heard this. I may have even been the poster child for someone your parents would tell you not to hang out with.

I then thought back to Pastor Mark's sermon where he stated a conversation he had the other day.  A woman from his congregation had said "Pastor what I have been through might explain me, but it does not define who I am." Oh yeah, my past doesn't define me.

- It is not where I am from, or where I am right now that I should judge myself by, but where I am going. I have a new identity in Christ!(quote from Mark Driscoll)

Image from www.vccmin.org



No comments:

Post a Comment